Biomedical Data Engineer
153 Townsend St. Suite 800 San Francisco, CA 94107
Title: Biomedical Data Engineer
Industry: Health Technology
Status: Direct Hire – Employee
Location: San Francisco, California 94107
Our client is a globally recognized tech-health company that has eight global offices and over 1,500 employees worldwide. Privately held, the company’s annual valuation is between $1-2 billion per year. The leader in their field with over 2 million subscribers, our client aims to provide their customers with a greater sense of belonging in the world as well actively creating cutting edge health technology.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
You will be a part of a company whose sole focus revolves around human understanding and knowledge. You will be welcomed with a holistic benefit program including competitive pay, comprehensive retirement plans, medical, dental, and vision coverage and maternity/paternity leave. In addition to these benefits, our client provides a host of day-to-day perks including but not limited to flexible paid time off and a supportive culture, onsite fitness classes, external speakers, subsidized transit as well as healthy snacks and drinks and a host of internal and external activities.
THE ROLE YOU WILL PLAY:
- Build end-to end cloud-based data ecosystems using your experience in genomics, product development and machine learning
- Develop tools to locate, change and control, quality check and confirm interoperability of large diverse datasets
- Define technical and business requirements in collaboration with engineers, scientists and other stakeholders
- Design solutions and take ownership of improving processes
- Create policies and guidelines then enforce for accurate use of complex datasets
- Integrate processes with existing data sources and in partnership with other team member objectives
- M.S. degree in Computer Science, Genetics, Physics, Engineering or other quantitative field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 4+ years of experience building data systems and managing datasets
- Expertise in several of the following: Python, R, SQL, git and Hadoop/Spark in a distributed Unix environment
- Strong knowledge working in AWS
- Metadata managements and data integration experience drawing on your knowledge of public database sources and common tools used in genomics such as ENSEMBLE, NCBI, EBI, dbGAP
- Genomic or scientific data management experience in pharmaceuticals, biotech, or a clinical diagnostics field
- Biomedical ontology and controlled vocabulary knowledge
- Experience analyzing genomic data using machine learning, population or ancestry inference, NGS and GWAS
- Proven self-starter with sense of ownership while being a strong collaborator
- Public cloud and HPC job scheduler (SLURM, SGE) knowledge
- Proficiency in programming and experience in Python, C/C++ or Java is desired
- Working knowledge of statistical or machine learning approaches
- Experience analyzing genomic or population data is a plus
At ABA, we value professionalism, honesty, and hard work. We’re positive, innovative thinkers, and we use creativity to turn challenges into opportunities. We love to learn, and we continuously seek new ways to deepen our expertise. We’re energized by the legal industry, passionate about staffing, and committed to the success of our clients and candidates. That's what makes us “the name to know in recruitment.”
Director, Executive Search
Lauren’s first six years in recruiting started right here at ABA in the 1990s. In the 20+ years since, Lauren has been a staffing specialist at start-ups, an incubator, other staffing agencies, and she has served as the in-house recruiter for large international companies—not to mention running her own small business and raising three amazing children. Lauren’s breadth and depth of experience gives her a unique understanding of both client and candidate needs. To round out her knowledge, she has spent the last three years placing hardware and software engineering staff in the semiconductor industry as a Diversity Recruiter for Intel.
Some of Lauren’s past clients include Oracle, SAP, KPMG, PWC, Ernst and Young, Booz Allen Hamilton, boutique consulting firms, Fortune 500 companies, and start-ups where she placed technical, consulting, and sales staff. Her goal is to create enduring partnerships with candidates and clients alike, built on a rapport of honesty and trust. She has in-depth knowledge of all stages of the hiring/recruitment cycle and is skilled at advising selection criteria and managing job offer/compensation strategy. Most of all, Lauren absolutely loves recruiting because it’s not only challenging, but a great amount of fun too!
Born and raised in the Bay Area, Lauren graduated Summa Cum Laude from Dominican University with a B.S. in Human Resource Management and a minor in Psychology. Now located in Scottsdale, Arizona, she’s thrilled to be back with ABA where it all began to pursue the profession she loves.
Favorite things to do in Scottsdale: Exploring her new city and surrounding areas, hiking, and occasionally jumping on a plane to visit her college-aged daughter in the Northwest.
Favorite Quote: “This is the real secret of life – to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” - Alan Watts